Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Interview with John Walch of Johnn Goggles Music

Written by Joe Viglione
Saturday, 17 October 2009 06:56

Direct link to this article here: http://tinyurl.com/johnnygoggles

Interview with John Walch, JohnnyGogglesmusic.co.uk

John Walch

Gemmzine: Hi John, when did you get interested in selling music?

JW: Must have started back when I was around 12 or 13 years old, 1978.I used to frequent a record stall on Oldham town market, in Lancashire, England. So as my tastes grew, I'd start to do exchange deals or sell to this guy(he had the same stall until just a few years ago when he retired).Always liked to squeeze a bit more out of him when it came to bargaining, but he was always more than fair, adding a few extras to the deal - something I'm particularly prone to doing now..its little things like that, that customers (I hope)remember.I got really serious about selling music around 1997 when I started to place ads in local newspapers and record collector magazines.It was more of a case of funding this ever increasingly expensive hobby I suppose! Then when I got a computer in 2002,I climbed onto the next level...the world!


Gemmzine:This was a hobby before you went into business, what kind of stuff interested you?

JW: I grew up with punk, so that era is obviously my favorite.My Dad's record collection was fairly sparse, but one particular record he had I always loved was "Black Betty" by the Ram Jam Band..I have a copy of it myself now..Then punk really took a hold in my life.The noise, the energy, the speed, it was my blueprint of how the perfect record should be - under 3 mins and straight to the point! I'm still a punk at heart now, have all my 7" vinyl collection all boxed up (my pension!), but this ol' punk loves just great tunes now. My personal collection is very wide and varied, and coming from near Manchester, UK, definitely makes an effect. From the days of Joy Division to Happy Mondays to the Hacienda Rave Parties to Oasis, the scene is engrained in you. It evolves, and you always seem to move in certain directions here, however much the diversity of the music.

GEMMZINE What was the first record you ever purchased?

JW: I'm not telling! (hint-little blue elf like!). I really haven't a clue why, I think I was intrigued in how bad it would sound being played at 78rpm !!(thats my excuse, I'm sticking with it!). My first REAL purchase was The Dickies - Banana Splits - yellow vinyl..it was a perfect start to ease into my punk conscience, without upsetting Mum and Dad !Still a huge fan of The Dickies, finally met them around 2005 and spoke at length with Stan. What a legend!

JOHNNY GOOGLES MUSIC

GEMMZINE: When did you hook up with GEMM.com ?

JW: Must be around late 2008.I have a online store, but that is mostly UK based sales, so I wanted to start hitting a new market and broading out. As my sales got more established on Gemm, I've noticed a regular return of customers. Without sounding bigheaded, I think that says I'm doing ok....maybe I always think like a buyer and not a seller? I was also a regular seller on Ebay, but being someone with a punk attitude, I'm not particular to someone telling me how to run MY business!I hardly bother there now. Gemm is plain and simple...people are there because of our love for music, and Gemm is without restrictions.I love it here, and its opened a new customer base that would have taken many more years to establish.

GEMMZINE: What do you like best about selling your music through GEMM?

JW:It's simple to use, there are no silly listing fees, the selling fees are very reasonable, its got a worldwide reputation of being a website for serious music collectors and the folk who run it are friendly! The early problems and of me being unsure of how things happened when I first started selling here, where quickly ironed out with the help of the Gemm staff.

JOHNNY GOOGLES MUSIC

GEMMZINE: Do you get actively involved with artists you are selling? A
spinoff label or working with British independent labels?

JW:Not really, but its been discussed with a good friend of mine who is very involved with the indie and Manchester scene. He is involved with an indie music review website in the UK, so he is very hands on...bands that are looking for music deals or are signed to very small indie labels.I get lots of tip-offs from him and we've discussed his plans to start something. He has started to manage a Manchester singer songwriter, so maybe setting up a record label is next? Not exactly the right time to do that now with the recession,but I'd love to get more involved and champion a local band or artist..get in touch if interested!

and, if so, have you released recordings or do you plan to?

JW: Me??? I can't whistle in tune, so guess what my "singing" is like! (didn't stop Johnny Rotten though, so maybe I'm being a little harsh on myself !!??)

GEMMZINE: Anything else you'd like to say to Gemm buyers and sellers?

JW:(Places sales pitch cap firmly on head!) I'm a collector as well as a seller, so sometimes its hard to separate the two.Its a hobby that, through circumstances, was my only option after a road traffic accident firmly shut my career as a chef manager.But it was a great option to fall back on! Cause I'm a a sole trader with a fairly small stock, I can keep it as fresh as possible and add a very personal touch.Hard to shift stock go out as freebies to customers.I tend to look on hoping the customer will come back again, adding extras to a purchase always impressed me when I was a snotty kid on Oldham market back in '78..I think it still works today.
Also trying to dispatch orders out as soon as possible gives a great impression of caring for your customer-its great when you sell an item on a Monday and your customer in Germany is thanking you because it's arrived on Thursday.Its times like that when you know you're doing things right.
Lastly, offering a competitive price and shipping costs is probably the most important issue.Folk are more conscious of costs these days, so offering discounts on bulk purchases etc etc can be the difference between a sale or nothing.
I still think like a 12 year old wannabe wheeler and dealer sometimes... but its fun!

JOHNNY GOOGLES MUSIC

Direct link to this article here: http://tinyurl.com/johnnygoggles

Last Updated on Monday, 19 October 2009 21:09

No comments:

Post a Comment