Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Mark From Stoopid Records

Written by Joe Viglione
Thursday, 01 October 2009 08:12

Direct link to this story: http://tinyurl.com/markstoopidrecordsinterview

GEMM SELLER PROFILE: STOOPID RECORDS

[STOOPID RECORDS logo or cameo]


Stoopid Records is a fast and reliable mail order that's been in business for 20 years. They specialize in Punk, Gloom, Wave, Garage, Artpunk, Hardcore and Underground from the years 1975 to 1986.


GEMMZINE: When did you start STO0PID RECORDS ?

Mark: Twenty years now.

GEMMZINE: What was the idea behind the label or store?

MARK: Not a label. I just sell used punk and underground music from 1975-85. The idea WAS I WOULD SPEND MY RENT ON RECORDS SO I NEEDED TO SELL SOME TO MAKE RENT. I started when I found a record on Melrose in a record store called Ranee's All Ears Records in the $1 bin that was worth over $100. It was a 1st pressing of Walk Among Us by the Misfits. I did not have a $ so I hid it in the opera section and went out side to bum some money.

I had a mohawk then and lots of leather, chains and spikes and people were so happy I was not going to beat them up they gave me some change right away. I got it and sold it in an ad in the back of a punk zine for $130 in an ad that cost me $2 at the time. Spent $30 on food and $100 on other records from the $1 bin I could sell for $20 Or $30 or more. I did mail order from $2 ads in the back of punk mags with ads saying send $2 in stamps or cash for punk records catologue. I would xerox this list and sell the records in the mail. Then I did record swap meets, then opened a store.

GEMMZINE: How many years have you been in business?

Mark: I do not remember 20-30 years maybe.

GEMMZINE: When did you hook up with GEMM.com

Mark: I already had a record store. Some other record dealer wanted the commission during the 1st year or so that Gemm.com started. He hooked me up with a computer and how to do it, Superpop's was the guys store. Since opening my Gemm store. I tried other places online as well that actually charge you money to set up your site, but none of it worked out for selling really obscure records. I wasted a bunch of money and never got anything out of it.

GEMMZINE: Because Gemm doesn't charge sellers an upfront fee, only a commission. What do you like best about selling your music through GEMM?

MARK: That i can work when I want and not have a boss.

GEMMZINE: What was the first record you ever purchased?

MARK: Kiss and The Rolling Stones. Then I heard punk rock and started to collect those records, i now have 30,000 punk records.

GEMMZINE: Do you get actively involved with artists?

MARK: No, no rock star b.s.

GEMMZINE: Have you released recordings or do you plan to?

MARK: No, maybe some comps of old punk records.

GEMMZINE: Anything else you'd like to say to Gemm buyers and sellers?

MARK: You get out of Gemm.com what you put in. Put all the info you can find out about the record and band in the listing. Put a picture with each listing. If you do not have them go through and put them in now. Also do not try to sell out side of gemm to save the commission because you may lose the sale. If they have to cut a check or money order and send it to you they have time to think about it and may back out. Credit cards and Paypal are instant, no time to think. People buy records in a response to emotions so you have to strike when they are feeling that nostalgia or pleasure from having that music. You may think wow this is a $300 sale, I could save that commission, but then the sale goes south because he talked to his wife or had to get has transmission done. Don't risk it.

I think the best place to sell obscure stuff is Gemm.

GEMMZINE: Thanks for your input, Mark!


ABOUT STOOPID RECORDS:

[STOOPID RECORDS logo or cameo]

All records have picture sleeves and covers unless noted. We sell vinyl because it did not happen on CD.I buy also at top. All records are guaranteed if you do not like it send it back for a refund. Videos generally take longer to deliver than records, they are sent by another company. All records are orig 1st pressing unless otherwise noted. If you see a $300 record listed for $30 it is obviously a re-issue, it is not your lucky day, sorry. Price is mostly based on what it costs to list and keep a bunch of records no one ever heard of or cares about except collectors. If money is a problem for you this probably is not your site. The bigger the stock the more it costs to maintain so prices reflect that.


Direct link to this story: http://tinyurl.com/markstoopidrecordsinterview

Last Updated on Thursday, 01 October 2009 20:47

No comments:

Post a Comment